Monday, November 21, 2011

Free Knowledge

BOOKS!  I love them, not just reading the words, but holding and touching special books, or smelling the pages of some books bring me sweet memories.  Just looking at an old Child Craft book from my parents home can transport me back to my early years.

This is one of the old Child Craft books 
I got to bring home after my parents moved from their home when my mom became ill. 
I treasure these books and those memories and stories shared with my mom and all my siblings.

Time creeps by when you are young and then it flys by...

"How did it get so late so soon? Its night before its afternoon. December is here before its June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon? Dr. Seuss







Like most mothers of young children, I read oodles of story books to them. I would share Nursery Rhymes and poems, sing favorite lullabies or hymns to my babies then quietly hummed when my voice gave out but the baby did not.




Now I am blessed with a granddaughter, who @ 32 months old is SO MUCH FUN!   We enjoy so many activities and good books.  I have favorites that I read to her!





We read and sing or dance, hug and laugh as we make beautiful memories through books, songs and wonderful words all punctuated with love. 

I can remember when encyclopedias were in every home; we purchased a set for our children and the Child Craft books, as well

Now technology has removed that need and I believe lots of problems will come from the instant gratification of computers, cell phones and twitter accounts. 

Communication is the activity of conveying meaningful information and requires a sender, a message, and a recipient. 
HA! that is a conversation topic married couples probably hear about and some children as well. 





  But I digress...
                            
                                                                                              
Do children read books anymore... do adults?

                 
     I hope we never see 
the end of the written word 
for pleasure or knowledge.

"Books, the children of the brain." Jonathan Swift


I really just want to say thanks to Wikipedia.

I never thought about how much I use that site.  
Now I do and they are in trouble... 
so anything we can donate would help 
and keep them from closing up shop.




I am grateful for the gift :   check it out here.


Free Knowledge; For the World!




          

No comments:

Post a Comment